April 08, 2010

Reading Report of a Novel



The Rape of Sukreni
a novel by
Anak  Agung Pandji Tisna

        The Rape of Sukreni is a dramatic novel that shows about greed, lust and violence. The novel tells about a terrible crime created by Men Negara (a food stall -later on a coffee shop- proprietor in the village of Bingin Banjah in Bali) and I Gusti
Made Tusan ( a district constable from Temukus). He actually had a wife in Temukus but he still wanted Ni Negari (Men Negara’s daughter from her second husband). He changed his mind when he saw Ni Luh Sukreni. He offered Men Negara some money to cooperate with him to take the beautiful young Sukreni by force. With the help of Men Negara, he raped Sukreni. After that cursed night, Men Negara found out that Sukreni was actually her own daughter from her first husband I Nyoman Raka. She had totally ruined Sukreni’s life. Sukreni’s relationship with I Gde Swamba ( a young attractive coconut plantation owner) was suddenly over. Because of the rape, she had a son named I Gustam who turned out to be a rebellious young man. With his gang, he went to Bingin Banjah village and robbed Men Negara’s coffee shop and house. Then, they burnt her coffee shop, house, rice barn and livestock. I Gusti Made Tusan was on patrol in that area that night. The police and The thieves were locked in savage combat. I Gusti Made Tusan swung his sword and struck I Gustam, his own son, in the neck.

       In this novel, Anak Agung Pandji Tisna tells readers that Men Negara and I Gusti Made Tusan who committed a terrible crime like animals actually only discovered that  it was a crime against themselves. Instead of lecturing readers, this novel successfully deliberates a story about fate. Through the characters, readers realize that fate is inescapable and  determined by one’s karma. 

       Another thing that makes this novel interesting is the way the 
author communicates about Balinese culture and develops the traits of the main characters. Ni Luh Sukreni was characterized beautiful, had fair skin and soft eyes. Her voice was soft and gentle. I Gusti Made Tusan was like a man in a dream, amazed by the sudden arrival and departure of the beautiful girl in Men Negara‘s coffee shop. Similarly, I Gde Swamba was described as an attractive, educated and hardworking young man. Ni Negari was desperately in love with him. Ni Negari was also beautiful but she liked to get attention from men who came to the coffee shop and I Gde Swamba knew the game she played. On the other hand, I Gusti Made Tusan was characterized as depraved and Men Negara was greedy, strong minded and graceless. She would do anything for money. I Gustam was more depraved. He was like a wild animal.

        The way the author presents the drama is also interesting. Especially in the part when Men Negara agreed to cooperate with I Gusti Made Tusan who possessed lust for Sukreni. At that night, she still didn’t realize that Sukreni was actually her own daughter. After that cursed night, she was told by her son, I Negara, who got the information from I Sudiana, Sukreni’s traveling companion, that Ni Luh Sukreni was actually her own flesh and blood from her first husband, I Nyoman Raka. Everything was just too late by then, Sukreni had gone.  It is releasing though to know that Men Negara must feel terrible about it. On the other hand, it is also a pity for Sukreni who became a victim of her mother‘s greed. It was told that years before, Men Negara ran away from her first husband, I Nyoman Raka ( a rice field inspector in Manggis district), to marry I Kompiang who was her first husband’s cousin. From him she had a son named I Negara and a beautiful daughter named Ni Negari.

       The story was ended favorably.  Men Negara and Ni Negari knew what had happened was no accident. No human power could stop the will of the Almighty from taking its course. Men Negara who brought ruin to her own flesh and blood finally lost her mind. I Gusti Made Tusan who murdered his own son swayed for an instant and fell beside I Gustam’s body.  

        In my opinion, the title is simple and right to the point. It entices readers to read the novel. Through this novel, the author also tells about God’s justice. It tells that God’s law is totally different from man’s law.

        Even though The Rape of Sukreni is a dramatic novel that promotes knowledge of Indonesian literary and artistic tradition, its style is very popular. The diction is simple. Therefore, the novel is easy to read and understand.